What Happens in the Karaoke Box...

I love those karaoke nights.
Oh man, you guys, I love karaoke. I spend my days anxiously wondering where the next karaoke invitation is going to come from. When I listen to my iPod, I do so with a critical ear, mentally organising songs into 'karaoke worthy' categories. My hands tremble in anticipation of when they will next get to clutch a tambourine. I daydream about song lyrics floating in the air, with jaunty little katakana characters bouncing above them.

I'm no singer. In any normal situation, the very thought of grabbing a microphone and belting out a tune in front of other people would fill my wee heart with horror. But there is something about the sanctity of the karaoke box that makes public humiliation natural, possibly even beautiful. You may be slightly nervous, as your turn approaches - you may even begin to have doubts about your song choice (I'm afraid these doubts are justified if you picked Celine Dion). But all fears are forgotten the minute the song begins, and your intoxicated friends begin to cheer you on, as if they are at a spectacular music festival extravaganza, instead of a slightly scummy, smoky little room. You realise this is the moment you have been waiting for all your life. And it is happening, here, right now. Only in Japan.

You learn things about people that you never knew before. One of your friends turns out to be a seriously brilliant singer. A female friend has a penchant for gangsta rap, a male friend enjoys Miley Cyrus. Then there's the one who can barely speak Japanese in everyday life, but becomes unexpectedly fluent when it comes to reading Japanese song lyrics. I personally have been told that I am very good at shaking my tambourine in time to the beat. Karaoke. It just brings people together.

The great bearer of tambourine
I strongly believe karaoke is a rite of passage for all gaijin in Japan. So to help you on your way, grasshoppers, I have compiled a list of my favourite karaoke songs.

Difficulty ratings:
Chopsticks = may be attempted by any gaijin
Origami = recommended for those with a certain level of skill
Wasabi = proceed with caution
Kamikaze = setting yourself up for failure

1. Don't Stop Believing - Journey
Ah, classic Journey, made all the more famous by the filth that is Glee. Sumo-sized, crowd-pleasing chorus. Difficulty rating: Wasabi. Mainly because of the 'NIGGGGGGHT' note.

2. Don't Stop Me Now - Queen
Flamboyant and jolly. Excellent tambourine beat. Comfortably repetitive. Difficulty rating: Chopsticks.

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel