Banh Cuon with Prawns and Vegetables (Vietnamese Rice Rolls)

Snapshot of Hoi An, Vietnam
 
 
Delicious Vietnam is a monthly food blogging event which was founded by Anh (A food lover’s journey) and Hong & Kim (Ravenous Couple) with the aim promoting and exploring the diversity of Vietnamese cuisine. I have been following this event for some time now and after two years Anh has decided that the next edition will be the last with entries to be submitted by 31 December 2011 (so if you would like to contribute, you still can!). I have always wanted to participate in Delicious Vietnam and I am a bit sad that it’s all coming to an end but happy that I can contribute to the last one. Join the Delicious Vietnam Facebook page to share delicious Vietnamese recipes, stories and restaurant reviews with others.

This is my entry to Delicious Vietnam December 2011.
 
When you dine at Vietnamese restaurants in Perth, you get a stock standard list of Vietnamese dishes, but in Vietnam a lot of dishes are exclusive to specific regions and some stalls specialize in selling just one dish. Ho Ani was my favourite place to eat when I traveled around Vietnam in October, with an abundance of restaurants and street food stalls selling a wide variety of delicious food, I would recommend it as the top food destination in Vietnam. The local delicacies specific to Hoi An are cao lau and white rose, these two dishes are not available anywhere else in Vietnam. The noodles in cau lau are made using water from the centuries-old Ban Le well in the Quang Nam Province in town, which give the noodles a unique taste and I loved their firm chewy texture (similar to Japanese udon). White rose is a shrimp dumpling made from translucent white dough bunched up to look like a rose and apparently it is only made by one family in Hoi An who supplies all the restaurants (the recipe is a family secret).
 
Cau lau noodles, bean sprouts, lettuce, herbs, thin slices of pork, 
crackling squares with a bit of rich meat broth.

White rose - the most delicious dumpling that I ate in Vietnam.

Cau lau and white rose were a highlight of my eating endeavours in Hoi An (and all of Vietnam) but sadly I can never fully replicate these dishes at home. A dish that I ate in Hoi An which was revolutionary for me was banh cuon, as it changed the way that I thought this dish could be made.

(Eating Place 62, Hoi An. Note: Women in Vietnam wear their pyjamas out!)

Nicola and I met up with some friends from Perth in Hoi An who also happened to be there at the same time we were. They recommended we have dinner at an outdoor eating area – Bai Boi Dong Hiep, Eating Place 62 that they ate at the night before. Deciding what to eat can be a difficult task when there is so much on offer but when I saw banh cuon on the menu I knew what I wanted to order. I was interested in trying dishes that I could have back home in Perth to see what it was like in the country of origin. This was the first time that I had ordered banh cuon on our Vietnam trip. Banh cuon is one of my favourite Vietnamese dishes. It’s a thin crepe like rice roll, filled with a mixture of ground pork and minced wood ear mushrooms. It’s freshly made and should be eaten straight away. I love the lightness of the rice rolls and the delicious pork filling topped with herbs and nuoc cham. It looks simple but is packed with flavour. Banh cuon is traditionally cooked by steaming over a fabric covered pot of boiling water which produces a delicate and thin rice crepe.
 

Iklan Atas Artikel

Iklan Tengah Artikel 1

Iklan Tengah Artikel 2

Iklan Bawah Artikel